Spring Fling Sugar Cookies
Makes about 8 dozen cookies
1½ cups unsalted butter, softened
2½ cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Royal Icing (see recipe, included) or your favorite icing
Measuring cups and spoons
Parchment paper or aluminum foil
1 large mixing bowl
1 medium mixing bowl
Electric stand or hand mixer
Spring Fling cookie stamps
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or foil and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, combine the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- With mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ones, until fully combined. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Dust workspace and rolling pin with flour.
- Remove one half of dough from refrigerator. Roll out chilled cookie dough with a rolling pin to ¼ inch thick. Add more flour as needed, to keep dough from sticking.
- Use cookie stamps, dipped in flour, to create shapes and place them 2 inches apart on lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until the edges are light golden brown.
- Repeat with second half of chilled dough, rolling out, cutting shapes, placing on baking sheet and baking.
- Using oven mitt, carefully remove cookies from oven and place baking sheet on cooling rack, allowing to cool for about 15 minutes. With cookie flipper, gently move cookies from baking sheet to cooling racks to cool completely.
- When cookies are cool, decorate with Royal Icing (see recipe, included) or your favorite frosting.